trend watch: Take on Tribal
It doesn’t matter if it’s Aztec, Navajo, Peruvian or Ikat, as long as it’s tribal print then it’s on trend. Showing no signs of slowing down, tribal inspired looks work for both the summer and winter seasons depending on what time of year it is where you are. If you’re sick of florals or abstract digital prints, this is a great way to add some life to an everyday outfit. While it takes a certain amount of confidence to wear a bold and colourful “look at me!” tribal print, an infinitely more wearable way of bringing a touch of tribal into your look is to incorporate it into your accessories.
- Seasoned fashionistas may be happy to mix it up by combining different prints but it can be sticky ground for the majority of the population so stick to one tribal print item in your outfit, unless you are a want to risk looking like you’re in fancy dress.
- For Autumn/Winter try a tribal print sweater or oversized cardigan. For maximum wearability, look for one in a neutral shade with a bright print in one or two colours and pair it with jeans for an easy, relaxed look.
- For Spring/Summer, an aztec print cotton skirt worn with a plain tee or tank is a cool, comfortable look. Length wise it’s up to you whether you go for mini, midi or maxi as versions of all of these options are out there.
- Oversized and strong prints work best on simple shapes such as a shift dress or tunic and soft, draped fabrics.
- If you’re going for a tribal print garment then accessorize it with natural accents such as a few wooden bangles. Matte metallics (like a bag or pair of sandals) also offset the look well.
- If prints aren’t your thing, you can still dip your toe in this trend with some tribal inspired accessories. Look for bright beaded bracelets, chunky tribal statement necklaces, beaded sandals and tasseled or woven bags.
GET THE LOOK
Rosalinda blouse// DV by Dolce Vita
Contrast knit jumper// Kookai
Ecote bizarre backpack// Urban Outfitters
Aztec scarf// Pieces
Aztec print cami// Lipsy
Ethnic tribal long necklace// Arrows Rain